It is Okay to Buy Phoenix's 747s, If You Feel Like...

Jazajia

You can also read this article at: It is Okay to Buy Phoenix's 747s, If You Feel Like...

For a comparison between a Phoenix 747-200 and the same model on the Big Bird mold please visit: Viasa 747s in 1:400 - Part 1, PH-BUG

Recently Phoenix Models announced a set of releases that included many 747s 100, 200, and 400 series wearing some of the most sought-after liveries in 1:400 scale. The list includes the following subjects:

• Air India (Polished belly) Boeing 747-200 VT-EGA
  • Air India (Polished belly) Boeing 747-200 VT-EFU
  • British Airways Boeing 747-100 G-AWNP (Landor livery)
  • British Airways Boeing 747-200 (Landor livery with “The World's Biggest Offer” titles) G-BDXO
  • British Airways Boeing 747-400 (Landor livery with “The World's Biggest Offer” titles) G-BNLC
  • Japan Airlines (JAL) "Aloha Express" (Polished belly) Boeing 747-200 JA8149

The Phoenix Models 747-100/200 and 747-300/400 (referred to as PH74 mold from now on in this article) are regarded as the worst series of molds available for the type in 1:400 scale. At the same time, there has been a drought of classic 747s in the scale for some time now, at least on a decent mold. Furthermore, opinions have historically been radicalized in the world of 1:400 scale model aircraft collecting, with some collectors strongly advocating for an ever-increasing level of quality – and seeing those that settle for subpart molds as an obstacle in their way. While those that are easily pleased claim that the highly critical “ruin the hobby” for them with their seemingly never-ending dissatisfaction. And of course, those that fall somewhere in between the two groups.

Needless to say, this batch from Phoenix, which includes many grails (particularly the BA Landor trio), in a highly criticized mold, has stirred the pot a bit. I have to say that the discussion has remained civil, which is good, given the fact that we have been enjoying a peaceful stretch in the hobby, let’s keep it going!

Every Collector has Different Expectations

I would assume that by now most collectors are familiar with the shortcomings of the PH74 mold, and have already made up their minds in regard to these releases:

- Some will just ignore them, and not touch them even with a ten-foot pole.
- Some will see beyond the critics, buy them and enjoy them anyway.
- Some will wait and evaluate things such as their particular financial situation when the models hit the stores, how the liveries turn out, and how quickly are the models selling out, etc.

Then there are some collectors that might be struggling with deciding how to go about these releases. Boeing 747s wearing iconic liveries are hard to resist, but everyone is saying to stay away from that God-awful PH74 mold, what should I do? This last group is who I have in mind as I write this article.

Expect a Very Vocal Response Advising You to Stay Away from These Releases

Passions will be high in the wake of this announcement, and the anti-PH74 group will likely be very vocal in expressing their disgust with the batch and will try to steer you away from buying any of these Phoenix 747s.

They do have a valid point as the PH74 mold is indeed very poor, and unarguably the worst of all the 747-100/200 and -300/400 molds that are available today. So, when an iconic livery that many people want is released on that mold, the model is bound to trigger intense frustration in the anti-PH74 group. This batch is particularly irritating to them because it includes not one, but three BA Landor jumbos, in addition to other beautiful classics from Japan and India.

However, never forget that because a mold is not the best in its category, that does not mean that none should buy it.

It is Important NOT to Fall Prey to Peer Pressure

Seems like both groups include many well-known collectors in the 1:400 online community, but one of the most prominent anti-PH74 advocates is the owner of the site Yesterday’s Airlines: Richard Stretton.

Yesterday’s Airlines has become a household name in the hobby thanks to the tireless work that Richard has put into it. And the site really does offer an unmatched amount of high-quality and well-researched literature on the hobby, as well as – for the most part – very objective and unbiased mold and model reviews.

I have personally used Yesterday’s Airlines many times before when deciding on buying a model. I also enjoy reading Richard’s articles in my free time and consider him an inspiration for my own site. However, in the previous paragraph, I said that Richard is objective “for the most part” because at the end of the day, he is a very passionate collector – like you and me – and emotions invariably get in the way sometimes. One topic that seems to make Richard particularly emotional is precisely that of the PH74 mold. He has publicly acknowledged that he would like Phoenix to straight up stop making 747s, and people to stop buying them.

So, while the PH74 mold does leave much to be desired and its critics are by and large well-deserved, I think it is important for each collector facing a dilemma on whether to buy or not to buy a PH74 to understand the information that is available to them, and use it wisely to make their own decision, but don't let the community make that decision for you. At the end of the day, it is you who will regret getting or not getting a given model, and not the people affecting that decision with their online opinions.

It is Mostly an Online/Social Media Problem

I think it is important for all of us to remember that the majority of diecast model collectors are not active on online forums and on social media platforms. So for these collectors, it is a bit simpler of a dilemma: they either buy what they like, or not. The whole “what are people going to comment if I post a photo of this model?” argument is out of the table. Boy, it must be nice to be one of those collectors…

What are our Alternatives Anyway?

Let’s take a look at what 747-100/200/300/400 molds are currently available on 1:400 scale:

JC Wings owns and seems to have access to the GeminiJets 747 classic and -400 molds, as well as the former BigBird molds. Both molds are superior to the current PH74, but the latter is considered the gold standard for 1:400 747s; excluding the -8 series.

However, there are some problems:

First, JC Wings/GeminiJets have indicated with their actions that they do not have any desire to fulfill the demand for classic 747s on 1:400 scale. Second, those molds, while better than the PH74 mold, are also dated and have plenty of room for improvement. In fact, I will go on a limb and argue that, beyond the beautifully shaped nose of the BigBird 747s, their molds are not all that much better than the PH74 mold.

For a comparison between a Phoenix 747-200 and the same model on the Big Bird mold please visit: Viasa 747s in 1:400 - Part 1, PH-BUG

So, again, what are our alternatives?

Well, NG Models is likely to be the next manufacturer to step up and fill the “classic jumbo void,” and they seem to be getting closer to that goal with their recent release of the 748i and 748F samples. However, the problem that I see is that NG is trying to please everyone and is struggling to do so. With that in mind, it might take a while before NG comes to the rescue in the classic 747 1:400 business. I could, and hope to, be wrong.

Hey, and what about Aeroclassics?! With China open back again Andrew Klein could very well pull some tricks and, say, borrow some blanks from Johan Chan and surprise us, right? Haha… that would be a dream, everything is possible.

There is something to be said about living in the present though. The worse that can happen if you decide to get some of these – hopefully – nice PH74s, is that a better version comes down the line. And what’s wrong with that? I would happily display them all together.

So, Am I getting Any?

And speaking of me, where do I stand in all this? Well, I’ll be honest: I will likely get two of the Landors (the -400 and -200). I will say that if it was the BigBird mold I would have pre-ordered all three of them already though. But I’m also not going to the other extreme and avoid the PH74 mold altogether just because society says so.

Let’s all remember that at the end of the day, when you look at these 1:400 models from 8 feet away, you can’t tell the difference. In my case all I would see is a bunch of Landor tails together; a beautiful sight.

1:200 Anyone?

One last thought that I’d like to share before hitting the submit button. Say that you have been hunting down one of those all-so-coveted BigBird/Aeroclassics Landor 747s from 20 years ago (which have the wrong font anyway, and again, are pretty crude beyond the nose area). You probably know that you likely won’t come across one for less than 100 Dollars/Euros/Pounds.

So, how about 1:200? You can currently find InFlight/ARD BA Landor 747s retailing for 150 Dollars/Euros/Pounds and they will blow any 1:400 away! Yeah, you might not be able to use them in 1:400 dioramas (I'd say get the Phoenixes anyways if you are into dioramas!) but if beauty is what you are after, it is the same (or less!) of what a BigBird Landor Jumbo will cost you, and much more accurate and impressive!

Above all: Happy collecting!

Last edited:
Very well written and thought provoking. A lot of times I look at livery over mold, and I think this time I will do the same. I've been trying to build a BA Landor collection and they're hard to come by as it is. This is a chance to expand on that in what I think is a top 5 livery of all time. It all comes down to personal preference and people shouldn't be pressured to do something one way or another.

This also feels like peer pressure @YankeeVictor 😁😁😁.
Well written, but it does highlight inherent contradictions that you apparently are trying to point out, but actually are becoming representative and culpable of, unfortunately.
Like what I stated above, or like say model makers like NG who count on us very collectors who are online and active on these forums, for feedback and suggestions.
So if they see their very base as being supportive of the PH 747s, they would question the business decision of making new classic 747s altogether.
Thus the very points you make, actually defeat the larger goals, imho.
It'll be important to pause and see the bigger picture, otherwise we will fall into the very trap we are trying to avoid.
Just a thought
Cheers 🍻

This also feels like peer pressure @YankeeVictor 😁😁😁.
Well written, but it does highlight inherent contradictions that you apparently are trying to point out, but actually are becoming representative and culpable of, unfortunately.
Like what I stated above, or like say model makers like NG who count on us very collectors who are online and active on these forums, for feedback and suggestions.
So if they see their very base as being supportive of the PH 747s, they would question the business decision of making new classic 747s altogether.
Thus the very points you make, actually defeat the larger goals, imho.
It'll be important to pause and see the bigger picture, otherwise we will fall into the very trap we are trying to avoid.
Just a thought
Cheers 🍻

Valid point, but then again this can turn philosophical really quick and infinite opinions on the subject can arise.

You are saying that NG is going to see people buying PH 747s and are going to get discouraged to make their own mold. Why not say NG is going to see people buying PH 747s and hurry up with their own mold to grab their own share of the pie?

How about JC/GJ and Aeroclassics? The GJ and BigBird molds are out there, if there was the will they could start pumping higher-quality 747s next month. But no, all we get is a bunch of suspense and deliberation only to announce one (1) United Saul Bass 744... please!

Having said all that, my main point with the article is not to justify buying Phoenix 747s. It was reasonable to expect that Richard and others with the same views were going to raise hell with this Phoenix announcement, so I thought it was pertinent to balance things out a bit.

For those collectors on the fence I - based on my own personal experience - wouldn't want them to refrain from buying a model just because the big internet names in the hobby, such as the owner of Yesterday's Airlines, say they shouldn't.

So yes, if collectors are being peer-pressured not to buy Phoenix 747s, it is almost impossible to present the other side of the coin without coming across as peer-pressuring them in the other direction.

Richard does have a lot of valid points and observations. But then again, I am not denying the mold is flawed, there are however plenty of other ugly molds in 1:400 that make equally ugly models or worse, yet they don't get hammered nearly as much as the PH74 does.

Would you mind listing a few of them? Just out of curiosity :D

Sure can Leo, but this is subjective so you might not agree, which defeats the point, but here you go:

Aeroclassics 727-100
GeminiJets MD-80

If those molds were 747s they'd be equally ugly or worse than Phoenix's in my opinion.

Love Phoenix's 747s. Accurate wing shape (the bend needs to be there for the 747s), excellent undercarriage, and great painting.

Some people argue that the mould isn't that good, I won't comment on that apart from the fact that only Phoenix goes out to make some of the most beautiful 747 liveries (e.g. the JAL Disney set, in my opinion).

I do have all brands' 747 and they are all fine.

I really appreciate the thoughtful article you wrote explaining the arguments for and against the Phoenix 747 moulds.

I want to give my perspective on the situation. I am a modern collector (2000s-current) and am in the blessed position that almost everything I wanted either has been made or will be made in the near future and in many cases have multiple options. As my collection has grown I have started to no longer desire mainline releases and seek out customs, limited editions, and unique models as I get more particular with which models I pick up. This means if a model comes out that I want on a mould with known issues such as any Gemini Jets Baby Bus or 737NG, I just avoid it and wait for NG Models or Panda Models to make it instead. However, some models are not easy to come by such as 767-400. The only way to get them are some old Herpa releases from over 10 years ago or to make a custom. In this case if an even a mediocre version of a 767-400 came out in the United Evo Blue livery or current Delta livery came out I would buy it because I know there will be no other good option for any length of time.

Part Two:

The new Phoenix-Models 747 releases appears to be in a similar situation where the moulds are objectively bad. However, it seems unlikely these models will be made by anyone else for quite some tine to come. In this case I would say if you really want these models it is worth going ahead and buying them now. If a better versions comes out in say two years the Phoenix versions will be rare by then and one could sell it and just buy the better version at most likely no loose. I am at the point in my collection where I would rather wait for a really good version to come out, but to each his own.

Sure can Leo, but this is subjective so you might not agree, which defeats the point, but here you go:

Aeroclassics 727-100
GeminiJets MD-80

If those molds were 747s they'd be equally ugly or worse than Phoenix's in my opinion.

Thanks, Jorge! I'm not really seeking a comparison battle of moulds or so, was just curious to know these moulds which could be even inferior to the Phoenix 747. BTW I agree that both AC 727-100 and GJ MD-80 could be much improved.

There are also some moulds I quite dislike:

- Phoenix A300
- Phoenix 737
- Gemini Dash 8
- Gemini 737-700/800 from the mid 2000s
- Aeroclassics Tristar
- Aeroclassics 767-200

About the Phoenix 747: well, I'm a defender of freedom, so if anyone wants to buy it, go ahead and do it. I personally won't, as I really dislike the mould and I agree with Richard about all the flaws of it...

Last edited:
Thanks, Jorge! I'm not really seeking a comparison battle of moulds or so, was just curious to know these moulds which could be even inferior to the Phoenix 747. BTW I agree that both AC 727-100 and GJ MD-80 could be much improved.

There are also some moulds I quite dislike:

- Phoenix A300
- Phoenix 737
- Gemini Dash 8
- Gemini 737-700/800 from the mid 2000s
- Aeroclassics Tristar
- Aeroclassics 767-200

About the Phoenix 747: well, I'm a defender of freedom, so if anyone wants to buy it, go ahead and do it. I personally won't, as I really dislike the mould and I agree with Richard about all the flaws of it...

Ah yes, the Phoenix A300 for example is pretty terrible. There is also an old BlueBox A300 that is simply awful, I have a UPS one though. I have a number of models that are pretty poor but with enough sentimental value to make me overlook the ugliness.

I don't disagree with Richard on the flaws of the PH74 mold, I'm not blind :ROFLMAO: I just fail to see that as a reason not to buy a model. I too tend to for the most part ignore Phoenix 747s, unless it is something with enough emotional pull, such as these BA Landors.

I just hate when people come and tell me to stay away from that awful mold without giving me a real alternative. I'm like okay... I won't buy the Phoenix Landors, can you sell me a BigBird one for the same price then? Actually, give me a discount because I don't like the livery inaccuracies that the BigBirds have (yes, people roast Phoenix for their mold, but BigBird gross livery inaccuracies somehow go largely unnoticed...). Opinions, opinions, opinions... I should just stay away from Facebook and the forums, I feel it will be good for my soul.

I should instead put out a chair on the porch every afternoon and offer a beer to anyone who walks by and agrees to come inside, check the collection out, and hear me talk about airplanes for ten minutes :ROFLMAO:

Great write-up! While I don't possess any PH74 releases myself nor have seen many photos of it to give a proper assessment on the product, what I can say for certain is that I agree with the fact that no one should be peer pressured into buying or not buying a model plane. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's okay. However, no one should go by what another person thinks in this hobby. The JC Wings/Gemini Jets Boeing 737-800 fits this bill relatively well in this scenario.

@Citrus Aviation briefly touched on the topic on his post earlier in this thread, but I'll add to that by saying there's a lot of people that will say that the mould isn't good and just wait for NG to release the same plane (for example, Avelo). I definitely don't disagree with those people at all, the mould definitely needs some work done. However, people will still buy the JC product regardless if they know the mould is flawed or not, whether they have been told this by someone else and/or have been encouraged to avoid it. I mentioned this a little while back, but if people are still buying these products with the flaws, there is no incentive for the manufacturer to change what they're offering. It's unfortunate for this, but in a world where companies need money to operate, this is sort of the name of the game here. Another thing too to consider is potential factors that might block a manufacturer from changing what they're offering, even if they were willing to change. There are so many unknowns in this hobby, and while it's great to have someone like Richard who writes about some of these unknowns (i.e. history of manufacturers and why they disappeared), we still won't know everything for as long as this hobby exists.

People have their opinions re: the PH74 moulds and I am reading into those more as I go, so I can form my own opinion on it, but at the end of the day, no one should be forced to buy what other people think they should buy. As inherited from a fellow collector on another forum, always remember: Buy what you like and like what you buy.

I currently do not own any Phoenix aircraft because they hardly ever release models that are in my criteria. US carriers are not their area of expertise, and when I do occasionally look for KE models, there are always similar, but better, offerings from NG or JC. Therefore I will not comment directly on the state of the PH 744 mould simply because I see no point on arguing about a mould that I will probably never get to touch.

With that out of the way, let's talk about buy what you like and like what you buy.

My latest acquisitions all abide by this phrase, although not in the way you might expect. I see a common misconception around this topic where "buy what you like and like what you buy" = "don't listen, don't research, just buy what you want." This was seen in Richard's article and had been implied from many other discussions. This, I do not agree with. I have not ordered any new release GJ (aside from a few retro releases which were beautiful models) since late 2021. I have grown to be quite harsh on assessing model quality, and my purchases definitely reflect on this. So, my interpretation of "liking a model" is not "instincts." I have had a fair share of experiences on post-2020 era of GJ, and did research on some of the newest releases. And by research, only the factual bits, not their opinions. I then formed my opinion, and the conclusion was simple. It's not for me.

Of course, this inevitably does come with its downsides. In terms of release choices, GJ has definitely offered a wide variety of models that are in my criteria: Delta A220, Breeze, Avelo, you name it. It's quite true that it might take months -- or even years -- for them to be released by someone like NG. Even then, that does not change whether I like a model or not. Oh well, if I don't like it, it's not joining my collection.

Now, if you're still reading, everything I just said is strictly about myself. As long as I am in this hobby, I will probably continue to look at the smallest details, and will probably yell (to myself) "I'm not getting this" because of that smallest detail gone wrong. While these errors I spot do come up to the discussion, I want to make it clear that my sole purpose for doing so is sharing information. Companies like NG can easily pick up on these details and fix, and if there are collectors that pay attention to little details like myself, it may be helpful for their decision-making. If it's not their cup of tea, I respect it, and I always try not to let emotion get in the way so that they can make their decisions. Because at the end of the day, you buy what you like, and I buy what I like.

I've tried to remain neutral on this and refrain from making any comments for as long as possible, but here I go again!

It's pretty clear that the Phoenix 747 moulds are awful. This may be harsh, but in my eyes (and the eyes of many others) it is true. Regardless, Phoenix do make some pretty rare and sought-after releases on it, particularly in this recent batch. Despite my thoughts on the mould, I have bought quite a few PH 747s in my time. Some, I have gotten rid of, but others I still own, and they all look perfectly fine on display.

'Buy what you like, and like what you buy.' I love this statement. To me, it reflects every aspect of collecting. When PH released an Air NZ 744 in the cheatline scheme, I bought it, fully aware of the mould's issues. I 'bought what I liked', and I liked it!

This is going to sound harsh, but the truth is, it's your money, not mine, and frankly, I don't care what you do with it. And what I do with my money is decided by no one other than me! If you want to go out and spend a few hundred bucks on a BB400/AC 747, then good on you! You have just bought a lovely model, and you should treasure that. Meanwhile, in most cases, I am perfectly happy to spend much less on an inferior model and be just as pleased with it. For the real 'grails, I will pay a premium to get a premium product, but for the most part, I am willing to settle for less.

I don't want to force my opinion on others. Disagree or agree, I don't mind.

I've tried to remain neutral on this and refrain from making any comments for as long as possible, but here I go again!

It's pretty clear that the Phoenix 747 moulds are awful. This may be harsh, but in my eyes (and the eyes of many others) it is true. Regardless, Phoenix do make some pretty rare and sought-after releases on it, particularly in this recent batch. Despite my thoughts on the mould, I have bought quite a few PH 747s in my time. Some, I have gotten rid of, but others I still own, and they all look perfectly fine on display.

'Buy what you like, and like what you buy.' I love this statement. To me, it reflects every aspect of collecting. When PH released an Air NZ 744 in the cheatline scheme, I bought it, fully aware of the mould's issues. I 'bought what I liked', and I liked it!

This is going to sound harsh, but the truth is, it's your money, not mine, and frankly, I don't care what you do with it. And what I do with my money is decided by no one other than me! If you want to go out and spend a few hundred bucks on a BB400/AC 747, then good on you! You have just bought a lovely model, and you should treasure that. Meanwhile, in most cases, I am perfectly happy to spend much less on an inferior model and be just as pleased with it. For the real 'grails, I will pay a premium to get a premium product, but for the most part, I am willing to settle for less.

I don't want to force my opinion on others. Disagree or agree, I don't mind.
Whilst I definitely share the sentiment of buying what you like, I do also share Richards sentiment aswell.

Phoenix are irritating to me as they do make some very interesting releases but a lot of their moulds have now fallen behind with the times or have been changed for the worst. And what really annoys me is that they seemingly don’t care and will still pump out fantastic liveries and interesting aircraft on moulds that are 10 years out of date.

Phoenix isn’t alone either. Gemini and Jc have had some really bad moulds over the past few years such as the a320 which looks overweight and nothing like the real thing.

and the big problem is that if they make an interesting release that is more niche, it’s questionable wether it will get made again by a brand with a better mould. My particular gripe is thomas Cook. Gemini/JC have made so many of them on the sub par a321 mould that I doubt we will see any made on a better mould such as NGs.

The hopeful thing is that JC are upgrading their moulds for the better. Their recent 747 and 777 upgrade have been fantastic and I would say they show a genuine interest in making high quality models for us collectors which we deserve when we’re spending close to £50 on a model. I just wish they’d retire that a320 mould 😂.

But with phoenix, they seemingly don’t care about the quality of their moulds and produce sloppily researched models with bad colours and inaccurate liveries. I would love it if they were trying but all they care about is money and the point that Richard made was that if we continue to buy them, they will just keep making them without a second thought.