German Tu-154s: 'Interflug' to Open Skies

YesterAirlines

I am just back from the Manchester Aviation Fair and one of the models I got (for just a tenner) was a Luftwaffe Tu-154. I was going to post some photos and looked up the frame's history and had completely forgotten that it was involved in a mid-air collision. Considering how much crash models have been discussed over the past few days this is an incredible coincidence but it just goes to show how common models of crashed airliners are. Anyway, although the old Tucano/Phoenix Tu-154 isn't the best the model pairs well with my 'Interflug' version and gives me an opportunity to elaborate on the story of the German 154s, which is in my opinion very interesting:

Luftwaffe_Tu-154_16.JPG

Incidentally I was about 3/4 way through writing this when I realised I'd blogged about the IF 154 before but this later piece is a good companion to the original, which covers Interflug itself more. See here for the original piece:

This is a very cool model which I'd like to own. The Phoenix mould looks better with these gears instead of the current ones, to be honest. The biggest drawback for me is the big tail seam, that doesn't look nice. As always, would be wonderful to see NG releasing this, but I have a few other governmental Tu-154s on the list aswell: Czech Air Force, Slovakia Air Force...