Engine Start Sound

Anyone else absolutely love listening to engine start-up sounds? The 77W's in particular is absolute music to the ears, that deep thrum vibrates your bones even when you're far away from the plane.
Absolutely! Although modern engines are great, nothing quite beats the sensation and noise from a 747. I was fortunate enough to fly on some of Qantas 747-300s before their retirement, and it was an experience I will never forget.

Engine sounds... THE reason why I go "spotting".

Have you ever heard the sound of an NK8 (Tu-154A..) firing up? Amazing.

Also loved how F/A-18Cs sounded, but for obvious reasons the conventional air-start of the J79 was a dream for my ears.

As far as engine sounds go, there's nothing better than 4 idling JT3Ds in unhushed 707 nacelles. Two idling J79 maybe. Anyone remember the (earlier) F-104 howl? Damn, I miss them.

As for the full "sound profile" idle to full thrust there's hardly anything beating the TF39 (C-5 non M) or D30 (Tu-134A)

For the fun of it, some videos...
The NK8 (airstart from around 1:30)

While I've seen and heard a couple of NK8s, I was never fortunate to hear such air-start on the beloved JT3D in person, here's a video (ca. 2:00):

Bit off-topic here...

Most amazing airliner sound (not so much startup though) was the Tu-134A - that howl and thunder is dearly missed.

Best hi-bypass engine by far was the TF39 - nothing came close to this sound. Always gave me some goose bumps.
Outside:
Inside:

Finally, the howling J79. This is a CF-104D. While our 104G's had modified engines (MTU) that erased the howl, the Italian TF-104G still operated in that config. I so loved to exercise with them. What a creepy sound that was.

Finally, the howling J79. This is a CF-104D. While our 104G's had modified engines (MTU) that erased the howl, the Italian TF-104G still operated in that config. I so loved to exercise with them. What a creepy sound that was.
There's also a great start up video on YouTube of a BAC 1-11.. It's a bizjet, but it's still the classic startup sounds...All I have to do is figure out how to put it on here.

There's also a great start up video on YouTube of a BAC 1-11.. It's a bizjet, but it's still the classic startup sounds...All I have to do is figure out how to put it on here.
Open the video in YouTube, and click the "share" button. There will be a URL that you can copy and paste in here.

Digging this thread up as I finally found a good video of a (rare) cartridge start of the F-4Fs J79.
Damn, I so miss the sound of those engines.