Custom decals?

1/400collector

Im looking to make custom models but i can't find decals of them in 1/400 scale, anyone know if any stores offer a custom decals scale+livery services?

I didn't use any aftermarket decal for more than 20 years myself, but I think DRAWdecal or F-DCAL print their stuff in many scales incl. 400. There may be others as well.

I want to make a custom EL AL 742 which had tiny logo for 40 years of Israel and the year 2000 so i need to have them printed

Try talking to my friend @malefiska on Instagram. He's a decal maker mainly for 1:500 scale, but he can also resize to 1:400.

I hope to write in the right topic, someone has experience in create decals? because I have cleaned some in paint.... but I have never used and I don't know how can be the final work....

And someone can please say to me how to print it and how to prepare the model? because in internet I see so much type of paper and modes for put decals....

some people has done with the trasparent paper on the model...

I'm so confused....

I would like to try but I don't know how much it's difficult... because seems, but.... with a bit of focus and attenction everyone can do it.

Thank you in advance

I’m tempted to make custom decals for a Frontier Saul Bass and Western Flying W 737-200 because those things simply aren’t affordable for me right now, and with no one else biting the bullet I may be left with no choice in the very near future.

Now I’m sure once I make the decals and go about my day, someone’s gonna rerelease the darned thing; this happened with the Delta CRJ-900 a few years back.

I hope to write in the right topic, someone has experience in create decals? because I have cleaned some in paint.... but I have never used and I don't know how can be the final work....

And someone can please say to me how to print it and how to prepare the model? because in internet I see so much type of paper and modes for put decals....

some people has done with the trasparent paper on the model...

I'm so confused....

I would like to try but I don't know how much it's difficult... because seems, but.... with a bit of focus and attenction everyone can do it.

Thank you in advance
Hey,

Yeah there are lots of choices online. For homemade decals there are basically two ways to go based on the printer you will be using. Normally that would be either inkjet printers (most home printers are this type) or laser printers.

Start there. If you go with inkjet, these have a lower quality than laser printers. And they need to have a clear coat applied to them after printing to protect the ink prior to applying. s Laser printers are higher quality and don't need that clear coat layer.

After choosing the printer you need to choose the paper. There are also two choices. Clear translucent/transparent) or white (not translucent/transparent). Basically the idea behind this difference is that the transparent decal will take the ink and assume that it will be applied over a white background so that colors match what is designed. If applied over a dark surface all you will see is the dark color, not the decal colors. The white paper is not transparent so it can be applied over a dark surface without much interference from the color below.

And lastly there is paper thickness. That's pretty much your choice and depending on the scale of the model and the surface where you want to apply it.

Thank you so much everybody for the answer, after long time I have finished the decals, now the problem is:
How I can scale the decals for the print in 1/400?

and second question, as per the precious suggestion of @josecolme how or where I can print the decals with the laser? and with the laser i can put the decals and it's finished the model?
without the trasparent?

because I'm Italian and i'm living in poland, and I have no knowledge here where I can found the materials.... and I have never done something like that before xD

for the preparation of the model you do something particoular or just removing the old decals?

and the paper that that it's not so much thickless, what you can suggest to me? (this kind of services are done by a tipograpch or I must buy the paper and all and go in a copystery and they can print?

Thank you so much everybody for the answer, after long time I have finished the decals, now the problem is:
How I can scale the decals for the print in 1/400?

and second question, as per the precious suggestion of @josecolme how or where I can print the decals with the laser? and with the laser i can put the decals and it's finished the model?
without the trasparent?

because I'm Italian and i'm living in poland, and I have no knowledge here where I can found the materials.... and I have never done something like that before xD

for the preparation of the model you do something particoular or just removing the old decals?

and the paper that that it's not so much thickless, what you can suggest to me? (this kind of services are done by a tipograpch or I must buy the paper and all and go in a copystery and they can print?

You have finished the artwork using what kind of program? If you used a vector system (Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape,...) you already have scaled drawings - these programs work with dimensions and their use is highly recommended.
If you used a bitmap system (Paint, Paintshop, GIMP...) you may need to print, measure, resize (print resolution/size/dpi) and print again. But bitmaps are good for pictures, not for artwork/drawings.

A laser print doesn't require a protective coating prior to decal application, but a thin layer of clear coat is recommended after the decal has been set and dried - regardless of printing method.

I cannot give any advice on who can print those decals for you in Poland. You might ask the next "copyshop" or something.
What kind of printer do you have at home?
Decal paper for either laser or ink is easily available via Amazon etc. Those sheets come cheap, and while their application quality isn't great, they are good for testing.

I’m tempted to make custom decals for a Frontier Saul Bass and Western Flying W 737-200 because those things simply aren’t affordable for me right now, and with no one else biting the bullet I may be left with no choice in the very near future.

Now I’m sure once I make the decals and go about my day, someone’s gonna rerelease the darned thing; this happened with the Delta CRJ-900 a few years back.
Between decals, paint, and materials, plus a donor, I'm not sure how far ahead you'd come out doing it yourself versus having someone custom-paint it for you. That's the struggle @Purpleplane and I are going through with regards to 737s for Braniff II, Midway, and Presidential... and Frontier Saul Bass would have been on that list also if I hadn't gotten an advance heads-up on one going into a collection sale years ago. I do have a lead on someone who could paint that for you if you're interested...