ARD/London Shops

Jazajia

I just noticed that ARD has two retail locations listed: Hillingdon and Heathrow. Does anybody know which is better to visit if you only have time to go to one of them? (i.e. which one has the larger inventory, etc...)

Also, is CAM still in business, I couldn't find too much info about them on Google.

Thanks!

The Hillingdon site is bigger and stocks most of what ARD have availabl. The LHR store is very small and compact but has decent stock considering it’s size.

Worth noting, that if you see an item or items on the website that you buy, you can request to pick them up at either Hillingdon or LHR as a click and collect service if you wish.

Dan

Ok, visited the Hillingdon location earlier today. Unfortunately, none of the models I was hoping to find were there (including one that was listed online), but friendly staff, and nice to finally see ARD in person. They do have some nice gems there, plenty of NG and Aeroclassicsthat are hard to find online in the U.S. are still sitting there. There was one of the sought-after 1:400 Aeropostal 727-200 by Phoenix from 2004 there going for what new releases go for today... I would have gotten it, but I already have two of them. I did get a couple of NG's that I had been thinking about for a while just to get something: ANA Mohican L1011-1 and Cubana TU-204.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to ARD, that shop is a treasure trove of goodies and it’s where I got started with my collection back in 2007, I found lots of ‘old gold’ in there before I even knew anything about who made them or the existence of forums. I left there with a couple of bags full of BB400 747’s purchased at retail (then £23.95!) way before any of the hype started on ebay etc.

To answer your question about CAM - they closed down a number of years back.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to ARD, that shop is a treasure trove of goodies and it’s where I got started with my collection back in 2007, I found lots of ‘old gold’ in there before I even knew anything about who made them or the existence of forums. I left there with a couple of bags full of BB400 747’s purchased at retail (then £23.95!) way before any of the hype started on ebay etc.

To answer your question about CAM - they closed down a number of years back.

Thanks Alex. I also found out CAM has been closed for a good while. I guess Google maps still showed a CAM location or something that always made me think there were still two major retailers in London.

I'm scheduled to have another layover in the area in the next few days before going home, but not sure if I'll make it down to ARD again, the Waffle sale has been yielding some goods and I have been over budget since the beginning of the year. I was planning to take it easy, but there have been just too many releases, and the Waffle sales are in full swing also...

Last edited:
Thanks Alex. I also found out CAM has been closed for a good while. I guess Google maps still showed a CAM location or something that always made me think there were still two major retailers in London.

I'm scheduled to have another layover in the area in the next few days before going home, but not sure if I'll make it down to ARD again, the Waffle sale has been yielding some good and I have been over budget since the beginning of the year. I was planning to take it easy, but there have been just too many releases, and the Waffle sales are in full swing also...
Very welcome. Yes I remember CAM very well, I actually bought my very first die-cast model from there (1:200) after collecting the Wooster plastic snap-fit ones. They were situated inside the Sheraton Skyline hotel on Bath Road. Then, I got into collecting 1:400 proper a few years later on from that.

There's always some good stuff to be had from those Waffle sales! Don't even mention the budget - it's been shocking for me as well :ROFLMAO: I've had the same problem - new releases plus old finds - also I have other hobbies (00 gauge model railways) and that also adds to the issue! No matter how much you try to control it there's always something cropping up every month to push things over the limit...

Ok, visited the Hillingdon location earlier today. Unfortunately, none of the models I was hoping to find were there (including one that was listed online), but friendly staff, and nice to finally see ARD in person. They do have some nice gems there, plenty of NG and Aeroclassicsthat are hard to find online in the U.S. are still sitting there. There was one of the sought-after 1:400 Aeropostal 727-200 by Phoenix from 2004 there going for what new releases go for today... I would have gotten it, but I already have two of them. I did get a couple of NG's that I had been thinking about for a while just to get something: ANA Mohican L1011-1 and Cubana TU-204.
Going to England soon and plan to visit the shop. How do you order online and reserve for pickup? Checkout system is asking for a British address but I don’t know what to put.

Going to England soon and plan to visit the shop. How do you order online and reserve for pickup? Checkout system is asking for a British address but I don’t know what to put.
I would try the address of the hotel you’d be staying at. Otherwise you can call and coordinate. Happy shopping!