Anyone else just not a fan of GJ anymore?

acaymeth47

Maybe I am just a disgruntled pessimist but...

I've collected tons of GeminiJets over the years and to be honest, they just don't do it for me anymore. In my opinion, most of their moulds are outright inferior to the competition, particularly the A320, A350, A330, 777 and 747. I watched as their quality control plummeted in the last few years, and it doesn't seem like its gotten much better, although I rarely buy their stuff anymore so maybe there have been some massive improvements that I have not seen. Aside from a couple ERJ's, 757's, and 737 MAX, I haven't bought anything in the last couple years. I only buy models from them that can't be found elsewhere. For me the final straw was the smattering of British Airways 747's in the various retro liveries from around 2020. These models were ridiculous, with crooked engines, gear and stabilizers just ruining them to the point that I actually returned a model for the first time ever due to its poor quality. Insane that a company who's first releases were 747's would bungle the mould and QC of arguably the most popular and beloved passenger aircraft of all time. Aside from the moulds being poor to meh in quality, and the actual quality control being shaky at best, the prices of these models do not reflect the quality at all. I understand that the entire world is dealing with unprecedented inflation, labor shortages and there are still issues with consistently being able to produce models in China due to local protocols, which have all had effects on prices, but at the end of the day I'm not gonna pay seventy dollars for an A380, let alone fifty for an Airbus with engines that are twice as large as they should be. Another thing I have noticed is the way that GJ responds to the complaints of collectors. Instead of improving, and trying to actually make models that compete with their fiercest competitors, I have obvserved multiple occasions where when met with the slightest criticism, they delete comments or outright restrict comments on their social media. This most recently happened with their Aer Lingus ATR 72, which clearly has the wrong windows printed on the cockpit. Instead of listening to collectors who are making valid complaints about the poor quality or quality control of their products, they just restrict comments to block out the noise. I'm just wondering if any other collectors out there feel the same way? It feels like they make toys, not models, and charge insane prices for their low quality products while refusing to improve or listen to feedback/constructive criticism. Like I mentioned above, I have bought a couple GJ's in the last couple years, exclusively ERJ's 737 MAX and 757-300, which are not made by other manufacturers, and these moulds are all fine, so credit where credit is due, but overall GJ has been incredibly disappointing over the last few years, and I hope this company will eventually get its swagger back. I also hope this didn't come off as some kind of vitriolic rant, I just wanna know if anyone else has kinda just moved away from GJ in the last few years.

I mean as much as there not amazing and I have decided against getting models from them before cause of moulds I am not gona lie will pickup a model from them and 90% of the time I am happy with it.

Despite some of their recent flaws that plenty have talked about in the last couple of years, I still think Gemini Jets has some bright spots. Some of their QC has improved in recent months, although they still need to fix various moulds like the Airbus A320 family. I believe JC Wings (who originally made the mould and GJ shares it) had made an improved version, but there has been no further word on the matter. All the regional jets we’re looking for will only be coming from Gemini, at least until NG gets to do them in the next five to seven years. They have released several Electras in the last year including one just announced today for a November set; I know Aeroclassics has a mould but Gemini has been on a hot streak of not just Electras, but retro planes in general.

What they choose to release has gotten kinda boring with some months. This trifecta of criteria apparently must be met for a release to be announced nowadays:
- Emirates
- a European release
- one of three US legacy carriers (American, Delta, United)

Not saying all of these are bad, but the first one especially has gotten a bit too repetitive. I understand that Gemini Jets has a licensing deal in regards to Emirates models, but recently they’ve pumped out way more EK planes than in previous years. They did three A380s within three months; personally, one of those could’ve been swapped out for something a little more desirable. European models definitely need more representation, as I know many Euro collectors who have felt left out on many occasions. Thankfully, as mentioned, retro planes have started to surface starting around 2021 and there’s been at least one retro plane in a majority of the last 15+ releases since April of that year.

Overall, Gemini Jets is still improving from their low points in 2019-2020. I think they still have a ways to go before everybody can agree on hem being a good manufacturer, but nevertheless they have both high and low points.

GJ is a large producer of models that fit my criteria, so often I find myself just putting up with the moulds and buying the model. I have not experienced any terrible quality control as of now, but that may be due to that fact that I only purchase GJ models in-person due to their reputation. Overall, I guess I am pretty neutral on the matter.

I actually, have never bought a Gemini Jets model. I was tempted to get the BA744, and the Air Canada CRJ900, but that seem and wing to body assembly is something that turns me off, not to mention all the complaints of their quality issues, landing gear...

NG was the first brand I bought. They really inspired me to get back into this hobby of aviation and modeling. Their models to date, put GJ to shame in accuracy and realism., and their QC is excellent.

Gemini, have models that look like toys to me, and far from the real thing. Yes they have been around for longer and I get the sentimental connection that many have for them, but technology has improved, and they have not, and others have entered the pitch.

I have never received a broken NG model. Their QC is top. They are indeed the gold standard - they just need that beacon light from Aviation400. Who by and by, present another new player in the market for GJ, and their prices and moulds are better. When you factor the costs of these models and the freight involved, coming from great distances sometimes - QC becomes so important. Got to go with quality NG, AV400, JCWings and Panda.

Perhaps unfortunately, it's not likely I will buy a GJ model - I will wait for that NG's BA744..

Abraços, S

I grew up watching Gemini Jets unboxings for years, and I presume many of you out there did the same. Back then, it was nothing but my dream to be able to own a model produced by them. I started collecting 1/400 about three years ago, with a Delta 767. It was a stunning model to start off my fleet and it still most definitely is. It's just that I had no clue the 767 was one of the only good moulds they offer. As someone who primarily looked for US carriers, NG Models was not yet on the horizon, so I naturally started out with Gemini like many others. It wasn't until the year after that I started noticing issues, issues far too many.

I ordered a United A319 in early 2020 and watched in awe as the port wing flew out of this supposedly brand new model. Soon after my first NG aircraft arrived and I still remember how impressed I was with the quality. Well, even then, I continued to buy models from Gemini. 2020 was also the year I started a regional airport project and I had no choice but to scour those narrowbodies from the only source. The place that doesn't bother to listen, deliberately ignores issues, and cuts retailer orders with pleasure.

My acquisitions in late 2020 up until the start of 2022 was a happy medium between these brands. On one hand, I was lucky to obtain most of the astronomically popular RJ releases in 2021 even with their order-cutting shenanigans, filling in most of the remaining gaps in my airport. At the same time though, NG really started to offer more tempting releases including not one but two of my requested registrations. As I was nearing the finish line for my airport, I began my transition towards these NGs that I actually loved by heart. That Delta 737 N3734B from late 2020 is still my favorite model to this day. This year, the tide has finally turned and NG now takes the place of the most common manufacturer in my fleet. I proudly own 19 models -- of which only one arrived defective -- from NG. Gemini is out there with 6 damaged models out of 16 I have. Don't know if it's just me but 37.5% is quite a ridiculous number.

It does seem like they have passed their lowest point in 2020 and are slowly recovering, but it has gotten to a point where their new releases became irrelevant for my taste and I'd only turn to them for old restocks or if there was something truly unique. It blows my mind how not a single one of my newer Geminis surpass the quality of my first one. I do have to admit NG is also falling into a questionable state right now, with their sudden change in quality, but even then I'm sure they would return when the Covid restrictions are lifted. They have something that none of their competitors have. It's called communication.

Last edited:

I've collected tons of GeminiJets over the years and to be honest, they just don't do it for me anymore. In my opinion, most of their moulds are outright inferior to the competition, particularly the A320, A350, A330, 777 and 747. I watched as their quality control plummeted in the last few years, and it doesn't seem like its gotten much better, although I rarely buy their stuff anymore so maybe there have been some massive improvements that I have not seen. Aside from a couple ERJ's, 757's, and 737 MAX, I haven't bought anything in the last couple years. I only buy models from them that can't be found elsewhere. For me the final straw was the smattering of British Airways 747's in the various retro liveries from around 2020. These models were ridiculous, with crooked engines, gear and stabilizers just ruining them to the point that I actually returned a model for the first time ever due to its poor quality. Insane that a company who's first releases were 747's would bungle the mould and QC of arguably the most popular and beloved passenger aircraft of all time. Aside from the moulds being poor to meh in quality, and the actual quality control being shaky at best, the prices of these models do not reflect the quality at all. I understand that the entire world is dealing with unprecedented inflation, labor shortages and there are still issues with consistently being able to produce models in China due to local protocols, which have all had effects on prices, but at the end of the day I'm not gonna pay seventy dollars for an A380, let alone fifty for an Airbus with engines that are twice as large as they should be. Another thing I have noticed is the way that GJ responds to the complaints of collectors. Instead of improving, and trying to actually make models that compete with their fiercest competitors, I have obvserved multiple occasions where when met with the slightest criticism, they delete comments or outright restrict comments on their social media. This most recently happened with their Aer Lingus ATR 72, which clearly has the wrong windows printed on the cockpit. Instead of listening to collectors who are making valid complaints about the poor quality or quality control of their products, they just restrict comments to block out the noise. I'm just wondering if any other collectors out there feel the same way? It feels like they make toys, not models, and charge insane prices for their low quality products while refusing to improve or listen to feedback/constructive criticism. Like I mentioned above, I have bought a couple GJ's in the last couple years, exclusively ERJ's 737 MAX and 757-300, which are not made by other manufacturers, and these moulds are all fine, so credit where credit is due, but overall GJ has been incredibly disappointing over the last few years, and I hope this company will eventually get its swagger back. I also hope this didn't come off as some kind of vitriolic rant, I just wanna know if anyone else has kinda just moved away from GJ in the last few years.
I would be lying if these thoughts haven't crossed my mind over the last few years. JJ and B767 said it really well in various ways. I started collecting in 2012, and man the models were something else. Liveries, details, mold setups, you had it all. GeminiJets has been very hit-or-miss over the years. I am a very positive person and try to take the best from every situation, for some GeminiJets I can do that, for others, it's extremely hard. For example, a model like the American 737 MAX from 2021 is decent, you have a solid mold with fair color and good details, that I can live with. On the other hand, when I see GeminiJets completely mess up the liveries on planes or change molds that are perfectly fine, I have a hard time finding myself pleased with the models. Why change the American Airlines color completely 12 months after you did it nicely? Why change the wing angle on E175s? Then they come back and change from a meh 777/787 mold to a nearly perfect one technically speaking. Unreal elements from GJ, I hope to explore these topics in more detail in a video sometime. This conversation could be had in so many different ways for hours on end. Thoughts everybody?

I would be lying if these thoughts haven't crossed my mind over the last few years. JJ and B767 said it really well in various ways. I started collecting in 2012, and man the models were something else. Liveries, details, mold setups, you had it all. GeminiJets has been very hit-or-miss over the years. I am a very positive person and try to take the best from every situation, for some GeminiJets I can do that, for others, it's extremely hard. For example, a model like the American 737 MAX from 2021 is decent, you have a solid mold with fair color and good details, that I can live with. On the other hand, when I see GeminiJets completely mess up the liveries on planes or change molds that are perfectly fine, I have a hard time finding myself pleased with the models. Why change the American Airlines color completely 12 months after you did it nicely? Why change the wing angle on E175s? Then they come back and change from a meh 777/787 mold to a nearly perfect one technically speaking. Unreal elements from GJ, I hope to explore these topics in more detail in a video sometime. This conversation could be had in so many different ways for hours on end. Thoughts everybody?
As you said, everyone has summed it up very well. I agree with all of your points, and it is hard to be optimistic when they keep making the same mistakes and being so negative towards collectors. Hopefully things will improve, be it now or in a couple years' time, and we can have the old GJ back.

I’m right with you. Recently I sold nearly 80 models keeping only the MAX aircraft, regionals and Frontier and Spirit fleet. I have also kept all of my widebodies as it is more expensive to sell and replace them. With the future looking very promising with new makers and better details, I have quickly transitioned to NG, AV and Pandamodels. I no longer support the 1/400 scale from Gemini only the 200 scale. Like they say all great things don’t last forever, but don’t get me wrong even NG started having quality control issues. I’m fortunate to have purchased over 300 Gemini Jets since they’ve started. Only one I received was damaged beyond repair and have sold and traded them over the years to always keep my fleet modern, but at this point I no longer get the wow factor I once had. The only model they make that has any merit in my eyes is probably the A339 NEO and 777LR.

some of GJ/JC moulds that are underused like the MD-11, IL-86 and IL-62M. As far as I concern, GJ today mostly concentrates con modern and US collectors, which is boring for me. The Delta widget MD-11, IL-62M TAAG, old Tarom... are great potentials

While I can't find myself disagreeing with the OP, I do think GeminiJets have improved slightly over the last year or so.

Having said that however, they have never addressed my personal biggest issue with their releases which is the shade of blue they use on their KLM models.
I have chatted with them numerous times but they stick to saying that the airline provides them with the colour to use... Yet every KLM release has a different shade of blue - but it's always the wrong shade where it's just much too bright.

For me as someone that collects all KLM releases, it is especially painful to see those almost neon-blue models like the recent interactive series KLM next to the more accurate coloured ones from NG, JC or even Phoenix.

I hesitate a GJ purchase every time they release a model I want. Have had problems with the landing gears beeing bent not straight. I hate when a model is not standing straight. Especially during photo shooting.

I was never a fan of GJ. Only once on Instagram I mentioned how the KLM color on a 747 was too light and they blocked me immediately. And also agree with Skippy, their releases are so predictable. 1 or 2 European widebodies, 1 retro aircraft, 1 Emirates and the rest is North American. Booooring, NG and Aeroclassics do much better in that regard. Not even mentioning that other manufacturers are not allowed to produce some sought after liveries because only GJ has the rights to make them (as far as I know).

While I can't find myself disagreeing with the OP, I do think GeminiJets have improved slightly over the last year or so.

Having said that however, they have never addressed my personal biggest issue with their releases which is the shade of blue they use on their KLM models.
I have chatted with them numerous times but they stick to saying that the airline provides them with the colour to use... Yet every KLM release has a different shade of blue - but it's always the wrong shade where it's just much too bright.

For me as someone that collects all KLM releases, it is especially painful to see those almost neon-blue models like the recent interactive series KLM next to the more accurate coloured ones from NG, JC or even Phoenix.
I recently bought their KLM 747 interactive and the colour is indeed off. Its not that bad (for as long it's not in direct sun light) but as soon as a better 747-400 option is available this model will be replaced for sure.

I haven't really had any issues with Gemini jets I look forward to their new releases and I don't question whether or not I'm gonna buy a model because it's GJ. if there is a significantly better option available by another manufacturer I will go for that one of course. my retailer is awesome they always check each model for QC so I rarely get a broken model in the mail.

I'm still a fan of Gemini. Out of the 266 Gemini models that I have, I've only had to return one for a replacement...an American 737-MAX 8 that was completely missing the nose gear. If the gear would've been in the cradle, I would've just fixed it myself. Sure, I've had a few that I've had to glue wings, horizontal stabilizers, etc.. but that was less than 10...out of 266, that's really not bad at all.

I'm still a fan of Gemini. Out of the 266 Gemini models that I have, I've only had to return one for a replacement...an American 737-MAX 8 that was completely missing the nose gear. If the gear would've been in the cradle, I would've just fixed it myself. Sure, I've had a few that I've had to glue wings, horizontal stabilizers, etc.. but that was less than 10...out of 266, that's really not bad at all.
Complete agree with this. I’m eager to see where GJ can go from here. A few small touch up’s could go a long way.