2003 BB400 Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-467 VR-HOO "Lettuce Sandwich" - not in the best condition

quanng

As it is just few hours away from the Lunar New Year, I had this litte free time and would like to share with you the Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-467 VR-HOO "Lettuce Sandwich" that I had bought in 2022. This model is among the top 5 most expensive I have ever spent in my collection. This model have many shortcomings when it comes to desire. First is a look of the real thing, the feature of the livery depicted on this models are: no Union Jack, no green lines on the engines, with Rolls Royce logo. This pic is the nearest I could get however it still omits the RR logos. Copyright to its respective owner.
39567_1098785051.jpg
Let's have a look at the starboard side. The BB400 is still strong even in 2023. The grey belly is paint and not chrome.
20230121_110848-01.jpeg
A closer look at the original Cathay Pacific font available on this model. It is not bold in reality.
20230121_111117-01.jpeg
The RR logos on engine number 1 and 2
20230121_111040-01.jpeg
The port side of this model. Notice that the nose-cheatline and the font are repaired. More on that later.
20230121_111003-01.jpeg
And here is the vertical stab with some cracking due to zinc rot. I just remember Harry Style's lyrics: "Don't cry for me it' s just the sign of the time". The horizontal stabs were sacrificed by Herpa Singapore Airlines B744. The fittings was ok on the right side but not on the left.
20230121_111204-01.jpeg
This model leaves me with lots of sorrow. If we have the category "Model of the Year", this CX 744 falls into "Most Regretful Purchase". I won by only 2 bids on eBay for this beauty and I thought I was smart. Only when I found out Richard's Zinc-Rot list and knew this was among one of them, I have feared for the worst. Hoping to slow down the zinc rot, I applied a layer of clear protective coat, but the spray from ordinary paint was too strong that the paint on the left side dripped. Fortunately I had the affected area repaired by DTCustoms who was on holiday in Saigon. I am really thankful for his help. Viewers discretion is advised when seeing the following photo.
20221215_120747.jpg
I would say the overall repair is satisfactory for me and it would still be a beauty in my collection. I spent the last day of the Lunar Year talking about bad things of the old year. I would like to wish (a bit early) to everyone who are celebrating Lunar New Year a happy and prosperous new year. May all the best for you (and your aircraft collection as well). I have the model list which I will use my lucky money to purchase and CX Tristar is among one of them. I hope to have a real detail post when the L1011 arrives. To those who don't celebrate Lunar New Year, I also would like to wish you a nice weekend and a wonderful nextweek!

As it is just few hours away from the Lunar New Year, I had this litte free time and would like to share with you the Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-467 VR-HOO "Lettuce Sandwich" that I had bought in 2022. This model is among the top 5 most expensive I have ever spent in my collection. This model have many shortcomings when it comes to desire. First is a look of the real thing, the feature of the livery depicted on this models are: no Union Jack, no green lines on the engines, with Rolls Royce logo. This pic is the nearest I could get however it still omits the RR logos. Copyright to its respective owner.
View attachment 11634
Let's have a look at the starboard side. The BB400 is still strong even in 2023. The grey belly is paint and not chrome.
View attachment 11639
A closer look at the original Cathay Pacific font available on this model. It is not bold in reality.
View attachment 11638
View attachment 11635
The port side of this model. Notice that the nose-cheatline and the font are repaired. More on that later.
View attachment 11636
And here is the vertical stab with some cracking due to zinc rot. I just remember Harry Style's lyrics: "Don't cry for me it' s just the sign of the time". The horizontal stabs were sacrificed by Herpa Singapore Airlines B744. The fittings was ok on the right side but not on the left.
View attachment 11637
This model leaves me with lots of sorrow. If we have the category "Model of the Year", this CX 744 falls into "Most Regretful Purchase". I won by only 2 bids on eBay for this beauty and I thought I was smart. Only when I found out Richard's Zinc-Rot list and knew this was among one of them, I have feared for the worst. Hoping to slow down the zinc rot, I applied a layer of clear protective coat, but the spray from ordinary paint was too strong that the paint on the left side dripped. Fortunately I had the affected area repaired by DTCustoms who was on holiday in Saigon. I am really thankful for his help. Viewers discretion is advised when seeing the following photo.
View attachment 11640
I would say the overall repair is satisfactory for me and it would still be a beauty in my collection. I spent the last day of the Lunar Year talking about bad things of the old year. I would like to wish (a bit early) to everyone who are celebrating Lunar New Year a happy and prosperous new year. May all the best for you (and your aircraft collection as well). I have the model list which I will use my lucky money to purchase and CX Tristar is among one of them. I hope to have a real detail post when the L1011 arrives. To those who don't celebrate Lunar New Year, I also would like to wish you a nice weekend and a wonderful nextweek!
That last picture looks horrifying but glad DT customs saved it. And have a happy Lunar New Year to you too!

View attachment 11634
View attachment 11639
View attachment 11638
View attachment 11635
View attachment 11636
View attachment 11637
View attachment 11640
Real shame about the defects, looks like it would've been a great model otherwise. The lettuce sandwich looks amazing on any 747.

Zinc rot on any model is the worst thing, but on a Big Bird 747 definitely takes the prize of worst case scenario... So in that regard I'm sorry for your loss. I know the pain of spending big bucks on a model only for it to turn up broken.
I think DT Customs did a nice job fixing her up though.

What happened to the original stabs? And out of curiosity - what did you do with the donor model?

That last picture looks horrifying but glad DT customs saved it. And have a happy Lunar New Year to you too!
Yes it was my mistake choosing the wrong clear coat. If I had got the right one in the first place it would be much nicer (although the attachment of the horizontal stab is not nice and seamless). Thank you so much for your kind wishes!

Real shame about the defects, looks like it would've been a great model otherwise. The lettuce sandwich looks amazing on any 747.
It was a great shame! I wish I had save up and git the Herpa exclusive done on the JC new mould (1st model on JCW new mould iirc but that one too suffers frim bubbling despite being very new). The 742 Lettuce would have filled the missing gap but up till now I have not got the chance yet.

Zinc rot on any model is the worst thing, but on a Big Bird 747 definitely takes the prize of worst case scenario... So in that regard I'm sorry for your loss. I know the pain of spending big bucks on a model only for it to turn up broken.
I think DT Customs did a nice job fixing her up though.

What happened to the original stabs? And out of curiosity - what did you do with the donor model?
- I agree with you. Actually this model suffers the most zinc rot in my small collection. The other I found only got cracked paint. And I got 1 model that has the potential too (VN-A768 per Richard post but that one still looks fine - I might need to do a clear coat with the right paint to prevent it). This one does not cross the 3 digit mark but its around 70USD shipped to me here in Vietnam. The seller did warn about the risk in his description but it was me looking for a miracle.
- Actually DTcustoms did a splendid job that looks amazing. I remember he only had 2 or 3 days doing the decal - that was quick of him.
- The original stabs came detached and are now detoriating into smaller pieces with cracks on paint surfaces. I let it stay the to see the result. Here is the picture of the h-stabs currently.
20230121_222346.jpg
- About the donor it was a victim of my youth as I was given by a relative at very young age and did not know how to keep the models well. Nefore the CX arrived it had lost all landing gears and wings but fortunately the fuselage, h-stabs and v-stabs still intached with faded paint.

Wow, hopefully the zinc rot will slow down a bit. Looks like a great repair though.
I hope so too, as the model is only 2 years younger than me. I feel it became a bit worse as compared to when I received it. I saw this photo on Facebook while ago but the reg was far away to recognize which model was affected but the title looks familiar to me. I hope my Lettuce would not end up like this. I hope only.
Screenshots_2023-01-21-22-37-36.png

Beautiful model, despite being a bit battered and bruised. Hopefully the zinc rot will not spread!
Thank you Leo! The Lettuce is such an iconic classy scheme and suits the Queen really well! I also hope that zinc rot would stop. Or maybe in the future with my study I can discover the way to reverse the zinc rot (currently it is irreversible) lol.

It was a great shame! I wish I had save up and git the Herpa exclusive done on the JC new mould (1st model on JCW new mould iirc but that one too suffers frim bubbling despite being very new). The 742 Lettuce would have filled the missing gap but up till now I have not got the chance yet.
Hopefully the 742 lettuce sandwich is one of NG's first 747s, it'll sell like hotcakes. Fingers crossed the mould drops sometime this year.

Hopefully the 742 lettuce sandwich is one of NG's first 747s, it'll sell like hotcakes. Fingers crossed the mould drops sometime this year.
I agree. If NG do the 747s Lettuce I would get them again. It's never enough for this classy scheme.

View attachment 11634
View attachment 11639
View attachment 11638
View attachment 11635
View attachment 11636
View attachment 11637
View attachment 11640
I would say the overall repair is satisfactory for me and it would still be a beauty in my collection. I spent the last day of the Lunar Year talking about bad things of the old year. I would like to wish (a bit early) to everyone who are celebrating Lunar New Year a happy and prosperous new year. May all the best for you (and your aircraft collection as well). I have the model list which I will use my lucky money to purchase and CX Tristar is among one of them. I hope to have a real detail post when the L1011 arrives. To those who don't celebrate Lunar New Year, I also would like to wish you a nice weekend and a wonderful next week!
That is heartbreaking… Zinc rot is a menace, and it is only a matter of time before we all experience some sort of decay in our collection. The fix turned out satisfactory, and although not perfect, I am sure the model will still look excellent on display in your collection. Hopefully someone (NG?) come out and release a complete Lettuce Sandwich 747 lineup!

Harry, I like reading your post full of detail and passion. Sorry to hear the horror story about your Cathay Jumbo with zinc rot and the clear coat debacle. I'm glad to hear that DTcustoms was able to help. Let me know if you need further help with the decals. Just PM me.

This thread also reminded me about my only (that I know of) zinc-rot-affected model, the SMA Federal Express 737-200. I went to check it out and it's doing good, only the main landing gear is still affected, and zinc rot has actually helped this model sit straight, whereas when I first got it it had a really bad tendency to sit on its butt. I keep noticia a wing bed issue that worries me, but honestly, the model as been pretty stable since I got it back in 2009.

Attachments

• F1E4D2C3-36D1-4702-8C6B-1B6FCE4342B7.jpeg
    F1E4D2C3-36D1-4702-8C6B-1B6FCE4342B7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
That is heartbreaking… Zinc rot is a menace, and it is only a matter of time before we all experience some sort of decay in our collection. The fix turned out satisfactory, and although not perfect, I am sure the model will still look excellent on display in your collection. Hopefully someone (NG?) come out and release a complete Lettuce Sandwich 747 lineup!
Yes zinc rot is surely a devil but only a little fraction is involved, but that is still a number. I hope the same with you and look forward to NG's redention of CX's lettuce sandwich!

Harry, I like reading your post full of detail and passion. Sorry to hear the horror story about your Cathay Jumbo with zinc rot and the clear coat debacle. I'm glad to hear that DTcustoms was able to help. Let me know if you need further help with the decals. Just PM me.

This thread also reminded me about my only (that I know of) zinc-rot-affected model, the SMA Federal Express 737-200. I went to check it out and it's doing good, only the main landing gear is still affected, and zinc rot has actually helped this model sit straight, whereas when I first got it it had a really bad tendency to sit on its butt. I keep noticia a wing bed issue that worries me, but honestly, the model as been pretty stable since I got it back in 2009.
- Thank you so much for your offer, DT did a wonderful job and the decals were great as he worked on them remotely from the models so it turned out quite satisfactory.
- Rarely do zinc rot brings positive result and the level on your model was great. It was lucky that your SMA was stable with its condition!

- Thank you so much for your offer, DT did a wonderful job and the decals were great as he worked on them remotely from the models so it turned out quite satisfactory.
- Rarely do zinc rot brings positive result and the level on your model was great. It was lucky that your SMA was stable with its condition!

Oh, I understand now. I got a bit confused at first, I thought the photos of the fixed model showed signs of zinc rot and that then you had applied the clear coat in an attempt to stop it, and messed up the titles in the process. But I get it now. You are right, the fixed model looks really good compared to how it was. Glad you were able to save it!