1:400 and 1:200 Model stand design and production

FunnyDrivr

Hello everyone after seeing Yesterday's airlines thread on the topic of 400-scale aircraft stands I decided to try 3D printing a cradle-style stand. In this thread, I will showcase the progress of making this happen. Below I have added an image of my current design this is just the base the cradle part which will be mounted on top will be designed next. I am thinking of an interchangeable top piece so customers only need to buy 1 base which will come with the attachments. anyway, that is my current draft and is subject to change any feedback is much appreciated.
stand1.png

In my experience 'less is more'. You want to be displaying the model not the stand so try and make the stand as small as possible while still keeping its strength. Also watch the size of the base. People typically need stands because they can't fit models into their display. If the footprint of the stand is not far off the footprint of the model then the stand loses a lot of its value.

In my experience 'less is more'. You want to be displaying the model not the stand so try and make the stand as small as possible while still keeping its strength. Also watch the size of the base. People typically need stands because they can't fit models into their display. If the footprint of the stand is not far off the footprint of the model then the stand loses a lot of its value.
Yes, the goal is to make it as small as possible without the consumer worried about their model falling I did not realize some people wanted a smaller base so I will work on that as well. thanks for the feedback I very much appreciate it.

So instead of an interchangeable top piece, I am going to try making the top universal by having 2 wedges getting closer and closer together. I am curious to see if a widebody and RJ can go on the same stand. The whole landing gear portion has not been designed yet it will probably just be a narrow piece of the stand for the gear to hand down from. The base has been lowered to be less tall and slightly widened for more stability.

stand2.png

After a slight redesign, I printed it out and noted a few things.
-not CRJ Compatible
-Front Overhand Price did not print properly due to no supports
-Not widebody compatible
-Bit too small
--------------------
The Actual overhand on the front is not needed from my testing but would make me feel better about having models on there so I will add it back but smaller and with supports. Below I have attached an image of the design and then a few images from my testing. Please note the low quality of the printing is because i printed this on the lowest detail setting so it has bumps and rough edges.

Attachments

• stand4.png
    stand4.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221016_152106[1].jpg
    20221016_152106[1].jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221016_152209[1].jpg
    20221016_152209[1].jpg
    5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221016_152146[1].jpg
    20221016_152146[1].jpg
    5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20221016_152255[1].jpg
    20221016_152255[1].jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221016_152127[1].jpg
    20221016_152127[1].jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
Another update on another new design is pretty good. I do need to figure out the ERJ situation (seen image below) and the widebodies are difficult to position and barely fit on the stand. So I will widen the gear holder at the back to compensate. I don't know what happened but the rest of the overhang didn't print properly I will also fix that. I did notice when I removed it the ERJ did fit so maybe we just don't fix it and just not have the top half of the overhang let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20221016_190608[1].jpg
    20221016_190608[1].jpg
    5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221016_190704[1].jpg
    20221016_190704[1].jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221016_190828[1].jpg
    20221016_190828[1].jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221016_191135[1].jpg
    20221016_191135[1].jpg
    5 MB · Views: 7
I have printed off a new version with wider Gear Supports which works perfectly for the 787 and I would assume other widebodies don't know the measurements for those. another thing I came up with tho is that the stand is unable to hold aircraft like the 747 with the gear placements of those I don't think the CRJ gear holes are large enough for those. I would make the CRJ holes bigger. the stand is surprisingly stable as well which is awesome! The front section of the stand again didn't print its an issue with the design I will fix that but I wonder if we even need it. I think instead of the overhang we would widen the Top since it's quite narrow let me know what you think. Below I have some images of the rough print for the stand. Another thing I will note is that the new wide gear supports have a nice curvature at the end but it's too tall for CRJs so I will lower it.

Attachments

• 20221017_143424[1].jpg
    20221017_143424[1].jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221017_143544[1].jpg
    20221017_143544[1].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221017_143555[1].jpg
    20221017_143555[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
While the part which is on contact with the model itself (that "T") seems promising, I would reduce the size of the stand itself (keeping the size of the "T"). In order words, make the middle part thinner, as a typical stand, as otherwise it looks too distracting. All this of course if it doesn't affect stability.

Hello everyone after seeing Yesterday's airlines thread on the topic of 400-scale aircraft stands I decided to try 3D printing a cradle-style stand. In this thread, I will showcase the progress of making this happen. Below I have added an image of my current design this is just the base the cradle part which will be mounted on top will be designed next. I am thinking of an interchangeable top piece so customers only need to buy 1 base which will come with the attachments. anyway, that is my current draft and is subject to change any feedback is much appreciated.
View attachment 1386
Big fan of the idea cause I have had plastic stands break off in models before and I often find them unsafe for the models so glad to see you making this!

While the part which is on contact with the model itself (that "T") seems promising, I would reduce the size of the stand itself (keeping the size of the "T"). In order words, make the middle part thinner, as a typical stand, as otherwise it looks too distracting. All this of course if it doesn't affect stability.
Yeah I do see where you are coming from but the middle part is already quite thin thankfully we have a strong base but I think if its thinner the scaffolding inside to keep it strong might not print we can certainly try but it is a whole other print so I will see if it works in the slicer

Big fan of the idea cause I have had plastic stands break off in models before and I often find them unsafe for the models so glad to see you making this!
Yes I will be selling them price is unknown depends on how good it turns out

I'm sorry but it looks like a spaceship. In fact the model looks as though it is about to be launched into the stratosphere, sorry, please don't take offense.

I do agree with the comments above about the size. Less is best, the stand should be something secure and safe for the model, and preferably invisible to the eye.

Abraços, S