Gemini Jets Triple Packs

YesterAirlines

Back before the GFC 400 scale was a different place. One where 1,500 unit releases were not unusual and brands sometimes produced multi-model packs. During the 2004-2006 period Gemini would produce 5 triple model packs, both for itself and as exclusives. Recently I've been able to acquire two of the five so I thought I'd take a closer look at a concept in 400 scale that is unlikely to return:

I must also add that I much preferred Gemini 727s from this era and the Delta set is exceptional.

GJ_3PACKS.jpg

The Delta and BA/Comair 727 packs are indeed awesome! Gemini 727 mould from this era still looks great in my opinion and tend to be my pick when choosing donor models.
Dragon had some twin packs. I remember an Air Canada 747 duo and NWA Cargo. But I don't know if DW ever had a 3-piece pack.

These sets with multiple models are nice, but they have two problems:

1) Sometimes a collector only want a specific model and don't want the other model(s). Ok, this is not really a "problem" but may frustrate some collectors who don't want to pay extra for the unwanted model(s) in the pack.

2) Would be good if sets of multiple models could cost a bit less than buying these same models each alone. However, that doesn't seem to happen. I see people overpricing a lot these multiple model sets. The DW Air Canada 747 set can be found for 80 or even 100 USD :unsure::cautious:

Last edited:
The Delta and BA/Comair 727 packs are indeed awesome! Gemini 727 mould from this era still looks great in my opinion and tend to be my pick when choosing donor models.
Dragon had some twin packs. I remember an Air Canada 747 duo and NWA Cargo. But I don't know if DW ever had a 3-piece pack.

These sets with multiple models are nice, but they have two problems:

1) Sometimes a collector only want a specific model and don't want the other model(s). Ok, this is not really a "problem" but may frustrate some collectors who don't want to pay extra for the unwanted model(s) in the pack.

2) Would be good if sets of multiple models could cost a bit less than buying these same models each alone. However, that doesn't seem to happen. I see people overpricing a lot these multiple model sets. The DW Air Canada 747 set can be found for 80 or even 100 USD :unsure::cautious:

Funny you talk about donors. I have for many years considered getting the Comair triple 727 pack for that purpose, but as you said, it is not a good deal. I have seen it for an average of $30/airplane, which is not horrible but with some patience, I can usually pick up a good GJ 722 donor for $20.

Richard is right to say that the recent Aeroclassics Delta widget is inferior to the GJ version, but I personally find very few liveries as uninspiring as Delta's Ron Allen and the Colors in Motion.

I don't have any three packs, but I have a handful of the twin packs. BA 747s Australia World Tails by GJ (whatever...). The BigBird TMA 70/74/GSE, which is really nice. The DW Federal Express 74/DC-10 purple top combo (also really nice, and I dig the 1990s-style package artwork). And one of the DW Space collection NASA 74/Space Shuttle (also super cool).

I didn't know about that GJ St. Marteen 3-pack. If it crosses my path for a good price I wouldn't mind picking it up.

Funny you talk about donors. I have for many years considered getting the Comair triple 727 pack for that purpose, but as you said, it is not a good deal. I have seen it for an average of $30/airplane, which is not horrible but with some patience, I can usually pick up a good GJ 722 donor for $20.

Richard is right to say that the recent Aeroclassics Delta widget is inferior to the GJ version, but I personally find very few liveries as uninspiring as Delta's Ron Allen and the Colors in Motion.

I don't have any three packs, but I have a handful of the twin packs. BA 747s Australia World Tails by GJ (whatever...). The BigBird TMA 70/74/GSE, which is really nice. The DW Federal Express 74/DC-10 purple top combo (also really nice, and I dig the 1990s-style package artwork). And one of the DW Space collection NASA 74/Space Shuttle (also super cool).

I didn't know about that GJ St. Marteen 3-pack. If it crosses my path for a good price I wouldn't mind picking it up.

hahaha yes, I usually like to buy some older models for custom projects.
I have used two Planet Airways 727s as custom donors and still have to pick up some more of these. The Comair pack would come in handy but sadly it's indeed not a good deal.

The FedEx purple top twin pack by Dragon was stunning, I forgot mentioning that one. Same goes to the TMA pack by AC. I believe they also did a similar pack for Iran Air.

Not a triple, but I have the Aeroclassics Qantas Constellation and Electra twin-pack. I think the idea of multiple models in one set may have been viable in the early 2000s, but with the current prices I'd be unwilling to dish out that much money in one go, especially if I only wanted one particular model.

Gemini done a 2 pack 737-200 BA world tail set and they done a twin 747-400 Australian tail twin pack. The only 1 I don’t have is the 727 set!

I wish GJ had done a DL delivery 727 with the normal widget (as opposed to the bicentennial version). This is the largest remaining gap in the IND collection. I passed on the AC one because I wasn't sure how the quality would be and now they're unobtainium. They're going for far more than I would ever be willing to pay for something on that mold. So it's looking very likely now that it's going to end up being a custom job.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the DL set. That's a big gap in my DL fleet! the lack of 727s :( !
There's tons of demand for them in the market. And the recent AC release of approximately 120 pieces of each scheme did nothing at all to satisfy it.

To me, this seems like a ripe opportunity for someone like NG to make a huge splash with a new mold.

hahaha yes, I usually like to buy some older models for custom projects.
I have used two Planet Airways 727s as custom donors and still have to pick up some more of these. The Comair pack would come in handy but sadly it's indeed not a good deal.

I have also used two Planet Airways 727s for custom projects. And I have a few more in the donor's box.

The FedEx purple top twin pack by Dragon was stunning, I forgot mentioning that one. Same goes to the TMA pack by AC. I believe they also did a similar pack for Iran Air.

Yes, there's an Iran Air one, plus a few more I believe. Some were marketed as Aeroclassics, and others as YourCraftsman400, same difference.

I wish GJ had done a DL delivery 727 with the normal widget (as opposed to the bicentennial version). This is the largest remaining gap in the IND collection. I passed on the AC one because I wasn't sure how the quality would be and now they're unobtainium. They're going for far more than I would ever be willing to pay for something on that mold. So it's looking very likely now that it's going to end up being a custom job.

The Aeroclassics one was released in 2016. I was on hiatus during that time, but in my experience quality at Aeroclassics was not as prominent an issue as it is today, educate me if I'm wrong.

You really haven't got many 722 mold choices GJ/JC or AC. Their particular pros and cons put them all on about the same level.

A proper custom job might not be worth it. It is going to be either as expensive or not as good, or both, as the regular AC version. Of course, you might get lucky and find a really good customizer willing to help you out by doing it for cheap, but finding one might be as challenging as finding an Aeroclassics one for a decent price. Good luck either way, patience is key...

I have also used two Planet Airways 727s for custom projects. And I have a few more in the donor's box.

Yes, there's an Iran Air one, plus a few more I believe. Some were marketed as Aeroclassics, and others as YourCraftsman400, same difference.

The Aeroclassics one was released in 2016. I was on hiatus during that time, but in my experience quality at Aeroclassics was not as prominent an issue as it is today, educate me if I'm wrong.

You really haven't got many 722 mold choices GJ/JC or AC. Their particular pros and cons put them all on about the same level.

A proper custom job might not be worth it. It is going to be either as expensive or not as good, or both, as the regular AC version. Of course, you might get lucky and find a really good customizer willing to help you out by doing it for cheap, but finding one might be as challenging as finding an Aeroclassics one for a decent price. Good luck either way, patience is key...
Looks like the preferred route at this point might be to convert my existing GJ bicentennial widget to a normal one with a custom decal patch to cover the logo on each side plus the associated door outline and windows.

Looks like the preferred route at this point might be to convert my existing GJ bicentennial widget to a normal one with a custom decal patch to cover the logo on each side plus the associated door outline and windows.
Ah, okay, minor custom modification. Clever idea.

Ah, okay, minor custom modification. Clever idea.
That was actually the plan back when I got it (and I got it new when released) but just didn't have the ability to do it back then. Fortunately the custom decal industry is much more developed now.