NG Models Boeing 747-100 Sample Review

YesterAirlines

In September last year when I reviewed the 747-200 sample it required by far the most rework of all the samples I was sent. Now it has reappeared as a series 100 and the good news is some of the major issues have been fixed, plus it has some series 100 specific features. The bad news is there is still some work required to fix another major issue and separately for those unhappy with the SP mould style nose nothing has changed there. Regardless, overall I'd say it will still be the best 747 classic available in 400 taken as a whole.

NG_B741_SAMPLE_35.JPG

Seems better than the crude trash that currently exists in 400 scale, but a long way from good enough. In addition to the issues you mentioned, the cockpit windows are too large and look weird from the side.

Regardless of whether the remaining issues are fixed, I just can't get excited for this given NG's release strategy. Damn thing might as well not exist.

Regardless of whether the remaining issues are fixed, I just can't get excited for this given NG's release strategy. Damn thing might as well not exist.
This is a direct quote from NG to me when I recently asked them about this aspect:

"Most of the production plans in the past 1-2 years were made by us two years ago, so the plans are lagging behind and it is difficult to keep up with the latest changes in the market. However, these products are now expected to end in July, which will be followed by a new product schedule."

This is a direct quote from NG to me when I recently asked them about this aspect:

"Most of the production plans in the past 1-2 years were made by us two years ago, so the plans are lagging behind and it is difficult to keep up with the latest changes in the market. However, these products are now expected to end in July, which will be followed by a new product schedule."
Thanks for asking, we'll see...

Looks pretty good, but cockpit window printing and windscreen wipers needs some tweaking. It's just not quite right and somehow DW got it better in my eyes. Maybe they are slightly too tall, because there should be a clear margin between the bottom line and the kink.
On the 4th picture you can clearly see the shape of the fuselage and the alignment of each window.

Attachments

• ng-b741-sample-05_orig_edit_1279377467713631.jpg
    ng-b741-sample-05_orig_edit_1279377467713631.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 42642_1378185426_edit_1279386549184463.jpg
    42642_1378185426_edit_1279386549184463.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pan_Am_Boeing_747-100;_N736PA@LHR,_April_1972_edit_1280115773356747.jpg
    Pan_Am_Boeing_747-100;_N736PA@LHR,_April_1972_edit_1280115773356747.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Boeing_747_Jumbo_front_cockpit_windows.jpg
    Boeing_747_Jumbo_front_cockpit_windows.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ng-b741-sample-27_orig_edit_1280844192810803.jpg
    ng-b741-sample-27_orig_edit_1280844192810803.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Looks pretty good, but cockpit window printing and windscreen wipers needs some tweaking. It's just not quite right and somehow DW got it better in my eyes. Maybe they are slightly too tall, because there should be a clear margin between the bottom line and the kink.
On the 4th picture you can clearly see the shape of the fuselage and the alignment of each window.
Probably just shrinking the cockpit windows VERTICALLY UPWARDS ONLY, KEEPING THE CURRENT TOP LINE AS IS - may do the trick?

Tobad they messed up the nose again ,just like the SP it looks like an ant eater,the nose cone is to low , and there is not the right curvature on the underside of the nose. They tried to smuggle a bit with the windowline drooping down towards the nose , but on all the classic cheat line shemes this will show , and somehow the nose makes or breaks a mould .. so really disappointed and also surprised since the 8i doesn't have this problem.

am i the only one think that the hump is a bit longer than it should be? almost like semi-SUD. the standard -100/200 have a rather short straight section of the hump then quickly curves down to the main fuselage, where the NG one curves too late and steep. kinda like the JC 747-8F but not that extreme. of course the satdome is another thing which has been mentioned in the review.
1717065540724.png

Yeah the hump crest does seem to stretch a wee bit further aft, comparing the two images - or is it proportionally off due to the NG's nose being a bit longer than it should be?
The engine front cowls do look a bit too wide though, for the original JT-9D?

am i the only one think that the hump is a bit longer than it should be? almost like semi-SUD. the standard -100/200 have a rather short straight section of the hump then quickly curves down to the main fuselage, where the NG one curves too late and steep. kinda like the JC 747-8F but not that extreme. of course the satdome is another thing which has been mentioned in the review.
View attachment 29963
You are not alone.
Everything front of the wing is a total mess, including the upperdeck.
No time right now, but may post my thoughts later today.
To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Yeah the hump crest does seem to stretch a wee bit further aft, comparing the two images - or is it proportionally off due to the NG's nose being a bit longer than it should be?
The engine front cowls do look a bit too wide though, for the original JT-9D?
yes the engines look oversized on NG's 747 since the -SP, despite not many seem to be bothered. (neither do i, but just sayin)
I happened to have a photo to compare the NG's 747SP (JT9D-7A) and JC's 747-400 LCF (PW4000), notice that the engine size comparison.
(engine 1 of LCF misses the intake fan i know)
1717069025111.png

Nose section is a disaster, as they basically seem to have used the same as the B747SP they have. They did get it right on the B747-8, so why repeat the 747SP error this time?! ☹️

Cockpit windows could also be improved. JT9D engines are slightly oversized indeed, as mentioned here. The hump could have a some refinements on the shape too. For the B747-100, I also noticed the lack of the strakes in the upper part of the wing, near the leading edges. I know this is just a sample and I guess this is just an absent printing, but I do hope to see them on the production models. These strakes can be seen in the Pan Am 747SP model posted above by @mike_charlie_lima

IMO the biggest bummer is the nose section shape. It already looks quite bothersome on the SP. Will be terrible to replicate this problem on their upcoming 747s!

I agree the nose is incorrect but then again we have all loved the 747SPs that NG has made so it isn't the end of the world either. I don't see any hump issues.

In a direct comparison to the current in use 747 classic moulds this is easily the best. Would I prefer the nose to be changed? Yes I would but it isn't a 'disaster' for me either.

I certainly think this mould is great; I’m not heavily bothered by the past offerings so theoretically I could go either way. I’ve been mainly holding off buying other manufacturers’ 747 Classics to see what NG had to offer (plus I don’t have the money nor space to afford those kinds of planes at the moment 😅). So far they’re doing great with it.

As long as they make what I’m looking for I’ll be a happy customer and pick them up as needed.

But you own Phoenix 747s Martin :ROFLMAO:

That's why I'm irritated you don't see the striking resemblance between both moulds. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, the NG version is of course better but the nose section would be a deal killer for me. I don't like their SP nose either.

And BTW, I have more than 60 747-100/200s in my collection, of which 50 are on the BB400/AC/AV400/JC mould and two are on the Phoenix mould.