My Airliners International 2024 Snags

JJ Skippy

Hello everyone! This thread will go into detail about each model I acquired during the Airliners International 2024 convention in Kansas City. I'll provide a story as to how I acquired it and my thoughts on each model. Let's begin with the first of many, in no particular order...

This first model wasn't acquired at the convention itself, rather through a fellow collector where the circumstances worked out beautifully. Most of you know @redriveraviation on here as one of the moderators, and a prominent figure within the model airplane community. Back in May, he attended a one-day collectibles show in Chicago and he found this North Central Douglas DC-9-30 by Aeroclassics. The deal was incredible for this model and I still remember getting a text message from him about this, and I was shocked, further amplified by the fact he got it for me, which is the nicest gesture he's done for me yet. He's aware of my North Central superfan status :D With this, I now possess two-thirds of all North Central planes in 1:400 scale to date; hopefully both totals will increase.

Prior to this plane arriving in my collection, it joined Connor on a trek overseas and across half the US and to Kansas City of course. So this little bird traveled just about as many miles in a few weeks as one of the real North Central planes would have in a few months time!
DSC02020.JPG

Hello everyone! This thread will go into detail about each model I acquired during the Airliners International 2024 convention in Kansas City. I'll provide a story as to how I acquired it and my thoughts on each model. Let's begin with the first of many, in no particular order...

This first model wasn't acquired at the convention itself, rather through a fellow collector where the circumstances worked out beautifully. Most of you know @redriveraviation on here as one of the moderators, and a prominent figure within the model airplane community. Back in May, he attended a one-day collectibles show in Chicago and he found this North Central Douglas DC-9-30 by Aeroclassics. The deal was incredible for this model and I still remember getting a text message from him about this, and I was shocked, further amplified by the fact he got it for me, which is the nicest gesture he's done for me yet. He's aware of my North Central superfan status :D With this, I now possess two-thirds of all North Central planes in 1:400 scale to date; hopefully both totals will increase.

Prior to this plane arriving in my collection, it joined Connor on a trek overseas and across half the US and to Kansas City of course. So this little bird traveled just about as many miles in a few weeks as one of the real North Central planes would have in a few months time!
View attachment 31212
Excellent model. Aeroclassics DC-9s have generally been some of their best models and the Republic/Southern/North Central ones are great.

The next model out of this was my best purchase from the show, this Western Boeing 737-200 by Seattle Model Aircraft. @squatchys_diecast_hangar bought several tables for the show and they had a wide selection of models to choose from. It was early on in the first day of the show when I came across their table for the first time. Originally, I thought they had a Frontier 737 by Aeroclassics, but it was a United Saul Bass, so at first I was a little bummed. A few rows over however caught my attention when I noticed a Western 737 in an SMA box. The deal was great, and despite some tarnishing at the rear and zinc rot on the main gear, of which I didn't notice until well after the convention had passed, I love this model. I'll definitely be hanging onto it since it's critical for the Retro FSD project, and also because it is my first zinc rotter. Yes, that may seem strange for one to say, but since the rot is just on the main gear, you can't see it unless you're looking for it. I've been oddly fascinated by zinc rot for a few years so having what is my first confirmed rotter makes this model all the more interesting. No major complaints from me!

I should clarify that I never took the model out of the box until I returned home, which is why I didn't notice the gear until afterward.
DSC02007.JPG

Gemini Jets seems to have that knack for doing oddball retro planes every once in a while. This Eastern Express Saab 340 peaked my interest when they announced it in their May 2024 releases. I picked this up at the ADI table where Mike Chew was stationed for a little under $40, sometime on the first day of the show. Despite some discrepancies regarding the nose gear and cockpit windows, I'm honestly satisfied with this model. I will say that the gear looks better than the Loganair release a couple years ago, though room for improvement remains. I'm hoping they'll do more of these commuter airlines from years past since I know there's many possible subjects from this era.
DSC02019.JPG

Continuing on, we have some modern models for today. First is this jetBlue Airbus A320 by NG Models. This is my first A320 from NG and I must say they did a great job on this. I got this from Sprue Brothers who are based in the Kansas City area, so they made the short trek to the Hilton for the show and had a wide array of models available beside all of the new NG and GJ releases. I got this on the second day of the show and this was my first purchase of that day.
DSC02023.JPG

I also acquired the jetBlue Airbus A321 by NG Models with the red accents. It wasn't my plan to acquire this one too as I didn't check to see what I was buying, but after assessing the model I'd say it was a worthy purchase.
DSC02025.JPG

The next model out of this was my best purchase from the show, this Western Boeing 737-200 by Seattle Model Aircraft. @squatchys_diecast_hangar bought several tables for the show and they had a wide selection of models to choose from. It was early on in the first day of the show when I came across their table for the first time. Originally, I thought they had a Frontier 737 by Aeroclassics, but it was a United Saul Bass, so at first I was a little bummed. A few rows over however caught my attention when I noticed a Western 737 in an SMA box. The deal was great, and despite some tarnishing at the rear and zinc rot on the main gear, of which I didn't notice until well after the convention had passed, I love this model. I'll definitely be hanging onto it since it's critical for the Retro FSD project, and also because it is my first zinc rotter. Yes, that may seem strange for one to say, but since the rot is just on the main gear, you can't see it unless you're looking for it. I've been oddly fascinated by zinc rot for a few years so having what is my first confirmed rotter makes this model all the more interesting. No major complaints from me!

I should clarify that I never took the model out of the box until I returned home, which is why I didn't notice the gear until afterward.
View attachment 31214
That tarnish actually isn't that bad... it could almost pass for the exhaust stains that the 737-200 was famous for.