Hard to find old Classic GSE

Steinar

I have been trying to find old style GSE like passenger stairs, tankers and other old style vehicles. I know AC has a set available but IMO it is oversized (the tanker and tractor).

Are there any other sets available? I think I’m not the only one missing these old style GSE.

The passenger stair on the photo came with a 1:400 Constellation years back. Size and style fits my wishes.Passenger stairs_2.JPGPassenger stairs_3.JPG

Aeroclassics have made quite a few retro GSE sets over the years - I have a few as well. The castings were also used by the old BB400 brand and as you point out, are indeed a little oversized. However, they’re one of the few brands ever to do retro GSE.

They did make an El Al air stairs truck more recently which came with their B.767-200 release, this was plastic and more modern looking.

Otherwise, as far as I know, there’s precious little else available for retro GSE other than having 3D printed ones made from Shapeways, there’s some good designs available, but are expensive and require fiddly work - painting them up and applying decals to them etc.

At this point I’m looking at designing some authentic period GSE of my own, based on UK vehicles of the 1970’s, for British Airways Negus & British Airports Authority. I can 3D CAD them myself but getting them in production and having them fully finished will cost a small fortune.

Definitely a shortfall in this area in 1:400!

There's a basically generic set currently on aeroclassicsdirect.com with photos to show what's included.

While the fuel and catering trucks have Chinese company names, CNAF & Beijing or Shanghai Catering respectively, the rest are more or less blank so they can be customized; check it out!! There's a mix of retro and semi-modern.

I plan on getting some of those sets to convert my airport diorama to be more realistic when displayed with some classics, thanks! :)

There's a basically generic set currently on aeroclassicsdirect.com with photos to show what's included.

While the fuel and catering trucks have Chinese company names, CNAF & Beijing or Shanghai Catering respectively, the rest are more or less blank so they can be customized; check it out!! There's a mix of retro and semi-modern.
The Aeroclassics GSE sets are basically the only game in town for retro GSE and I have several sets of them, some being customised to suit. I would welcome the return of this set availble from other dealers with the fuel bowser finished in authentic fuel company liveries - Esso, Shell-BP, Mobil, Texaco, Chevron etc. instead of in airline liveries.

Desert  turnround - MEA Cv990 & B707 (26).JPG

Got that MEA set, love it. The Aeroclassics retro fuel trucks are especially something I'd like to see more of, it would be great if we could have separate packs available with a variety of them. The Esso tanker which came with the Hangar Club Pan Am DC-8 is one of my favourites. As mentioned, I have the plan of designing some retro UK vehicles at some point, including 1960's-1970's tankers with Foden or AEC Mandator V8 tractor units (with Leyland's ergomatic cab), for Esso, Shell-BP, Texaco & Mobil as Adrian mentions. There are so many iconic period UK vehicles for the retro scene which would be fabulous to have in 1:400.