A question for NG

Do most collectors want a new 747 classic/400 mold, or is that really a minority and the true demand is for the ultra-modern -8? This is a question that I often ask myself. We should do a poll and send the results to NG

I consider forums or even large Facebook groups to be far from representative for the entire market. Most collectors I know rarely go online with their hobby - especially not forreign language boards.
I guess it's no different in other regions/countries. For example, how many Herpa fans do we see online on such boards and how many units do they manage to sell?
So if I had to guess I'd see demand for an -8 higher indeed. After all, it's a modern type and I think it's going more and more niche the older the subjects are.

You don't speak for everyone. Why bother making the Tristar when it was a commercial failure as well? The -8 is a popular model in any scale due to its significance, rarity and aesthetics. Then there's the fact that demand for modern types is generally higher than that for classics. Not to mention both existing 748 moulds in 1:400 are heavily flawed: JCW's got an incorrect nose shape, while the Phoenix's wing-fuselage joint is a mess. I personally can't wait for the 748 and the classics. The more NG-quality 747s, the better.

It's more about the amount of liveries available to make than the actual success of the aircraft . What are there, like 3 commercial operators available to be made of the 747-8i? Plus USAF, plus some other VIP examples, (which are very niche). Korean Air (plus special C/S), Lufthansa (plus Special C/S) and Air China which I dont believe even have any special schemes on their 748's. Definitely should not be the priority when there are countless other moulds to make.

I consider forums or even large Facebook groups to be far from representative for the entire market. Most collectors I know rarely go online with their hobby - especially not forreign language boards.
I guess it's no different in other regions/countries. For example, how many Herpa fans do we see online on such boards and how many units do they manage to sell?
So if I had to guess I'd see demand for an -8 higher indeed. After all, it's a modern type and I think it's going more and more niche the older the subjects are.
Agreed. Everyone cherishes the aircraft they grew up around. Classics like the 747-300 and MD-80 are of no sentimental value to me, as I grew up around 747-400s, -8s, 777s, A330s and A380s. Even those are now taking a backseat to types like the 787 and A350, which would be iconic to younger folks just coming into the hobby. Just like how it's ridiculous to some that anyone could prefer boring modern twins to timeless classics, many others likely can't comprehend why anyone would favor old rustbuckets to today's sleek aircraft. And because diecast aircraft are essentially toys (on steroids), the latter probably outnumber the former by a decent margin.

Last edited:

I am with you, there is actually a relatively small number of us active on the forums and Facebook groups when you think about it. I know very few collectors in real life (maybe the reason I take the hobby online), but the very few I know don't have an online presence.

I'm still torn about which 747 mold has more potential demand though. You are right, the 747-8 being a modern type likely has more potential right now, and I have no doubt that in the long run it will be the winner as the classic 74s fade away into vintage territory. At the same time, and keeping in mind that the vast majority of collectors don't participate online, many of us in our 30s, 40s, 50s... still have very fresh memories of classic jumbos and are still actively collecting. That compounded with the fact that there are some classics that have never been made - or never been made properly (BA Landor) - and some others are in too short of a supply, makes me think that the market for older jumbos is actually pretty significant. Time will tell I suppose.

Agreed. Everyone cherishes the aircraft they grew up around. Classics like the 747-300 and MD-80 are of no sentimental value to me, as I grew up around 747-400s, -8s, 777s, A330s and A380s. Even those are now taking a backseat to types like the 787 and A350, which would be iconic to younger folks just coming into the hobby. Just like how it's ridiculous to some that anyone could prefer boring modern twins to timeless classics, many others likely can't comprehend why anyone would favor old rustbuckets to today's sleek aircraft. And because diecast aircraft are essentially toys (on steroids), the latter probably outnumber the former by a decent margin.

🤣 I really like this assessment and I think there is a lot of truth to it. Personally, I always thought that old prop-liners with the curved/rounded v tails, and radial engines were ugly as hell. And was thankful that I grew up around JT8D engines as I think I would have never bothered to look up to the sound of props. Of course, I have learned to appreciate prop-liners, and have a handful in my collection (actually like contemporary turbo-props a lot), but they are certainly not my thing.

And yes, these little airplanes are toys on steroids. Having said that, I think you could be underestimating how many adults with Peter Pan syndrome and disposable income are among us...

🤣 I really like this assessment and I think there is a lot of truth to it. Personally, I always thought that old prop-liners with the curved/rounded v tails, and radial engines were ugly as hell. And was thankful that I grew up around JT8D engines as I think I would have never bothered to look up to the sound of props. Of course, I have learned to appreciate prop-liners, and have a handful in my collection (actually like contemporary turbo-props a lot), but they are certainly not my thing.

And yes, these little airplanes are toys on steroids. Having said that, I think you could be underestimating how many adults with Peter Pan syndrome and disposable income are among us...
I can definitely relate lol. I bought my first model intending to collect only modern widebodies, but now 747SPs and Tristars make up a decent chunk of my collection because... they're cool. Also because I generally find models of classics to be of better quality, but maybe that's just because of the chrome.

I can definitely relate lol. I bought my first model intending to collect only modern widebodies, but now 747SPs and Tristars make up a decent chunk of my collection because... they're cool. Also because I generally find models of classics to be of better quality, but maybe that's just because of the chrome.
Same here when i started all i wanted was modern planes fast forward year and a half later i have almost 20 BB400/AC 747
and other classics planes by Aeroclassics

I also was planning on collecting mainly modern aircraft. But something made me love classics over modern aircraft even though I grew up around the newer stuff (787 or A350)