1:200 Done Right: Herpa Premium/Lufthansa Modell Edition A300 (D-AIAK)

pons399

2024's Herpa is somewhat of a joke, but there was a time when they were the crème de la crème of model aircraft. Their Premium series have a reputation for peerless detail, with such quality being reflected in the exorbitant prices of secondhand pieces today. I was very lucky to have picked up this mint condition A300 recently, and long story short, it blows every modern 1:200 out of the water. Here's why.

1708873618140.jpeg
FIrst impressions... Tons of details, and also quite hefty despite being plastic. Solidly built.

1708873596563.jpeg
The cockpit windows are transparent. Although it's tough to tell with the cabin windows, they do seem to have the same treatment.

1708875001626.jpeg
1708873667237.jpeg
Now for the landing gear. Top is what your average 1:200's gear looks like in 2024, and bottom is the Herpa Premium. The latter's got the crisp moulded details, metallic sheen, and color separation not present on the former. It's a tremendous difference. I consider removable gears to be a farce, as their generally terrible fitment leads to wobbling that makes a $150 model feel like a $5 toy. None of that BS here.

1708873656764.jpeg
Although some newer moulds (like IF200's 772) do a good job, engine fan blades are mostly an afterthought in today's 1:200 models. Herpa nailed the fan blade and spinner shapes here.

1708873631566.jpeg
Surface detailing, there's tons of it. Stuff that's merely printed on in today's diecast models are moulded in on the Herpa Premium. These include the engine cowling panel lines,

1708873577054.jpegflap joints (also note the intricate text),

1708873605591.jpeg
wing leading edge lights,

1708873640663.jpeg
1708873586216.jpeg
as well as a plethora of other antennas, lights, and ducts. You can literally feel every detail on this model.

I normally have little interest in Lufthansa, but the quality on this particular model easily catapults it to #1 in my collection. It also serves as a reminder of just how much better today's 1:200s can be; if Herpa can produce stuff like this 20 years ago, the market should be full of models that at least come close. There are precisely none at the moment, and that's a huge shame.

Last edited:
That is a nicely done model.

It is sad how Herpa is so often seen as a "bad brand" because of their primitive, not very detailed/refined molds - except for their 1:200 props maybe?

While they certainly are not winning any awards for being the standard in awesome level of precise detail (though the model at the center of this thread clearly shows what they can do, if they feel like it), I think this hobby would not be what it is today if it wasn't for the job they did with their first-gen 1:500 tampo printed diecast airliners.

Don't confuse these "Lufthansa Modell Edition" or Herpa Premium series models with Herpa Wings.
The latter are average "Made in China" while the Edition/Premium were made by highly skilled folks in a nice little town in my home country - and with quite some money to start with.😉
You just can't compare this stuff.

The town? Yes.😄
The moulds? I should have asked last time I was at the factory. I don't know anything about their current status. It's been a while (18 years) since they were in use.
Haha! the factory, I was asking about 😁. And if they're still around, whether they do guided tours. It's unfortunate that this excellent mould isn't being used. I'd defo pick up my fav airlines in my fav wide twin jet, even though I no longer collect 1:200.

Haha! the factory, I was asking about 😁. And if they're still around, whether they do guided tours. It's unfortunate that this excellent mould isn't being used. I'd defo pick up my fav airlines in my fav wide twin jet, even though I no longer collect 1:200.
Oh! 🫣 😅
Yes, but they "only" do 1/87 plastic trucks/cars at their Dietenhofen HQ today. I've been there quite a few times in past years and they do have a shop/"museum" too. The factory opens up for the public once every year (open day) - I always love to walk around the factory (which is as "old-school" as mine), chat with the folks and have a look at how it's made. I was impressed by their new tampo printer that prints the entire detailing to a driver's cab in just a single setup.
I understand that producing these 1/200 premiums is considered cost prohibitive today hence I'm not even sure whether the toolings still exist after all those years. I'd gladly take some raw castings for some scale modeling projects...

...... I've been there quite a few times in past years and they do have a shop/"museum" too. The factory opens up for the public once every year (open day) - I always love to walk around the factory (which is as "old-school" as mine), chat with the folks and have a look at how it's made.....
Wow! That'll be something. Me too 'old school' haha 🙋🏽‍♂️
Doubt I'll be able to make it for Open Day this year though 😕. The summer school I'm slated to conduct in that part of the world will mostly extend till early June.
Thanks for sharing your story 🙏🏽 - hopefully will try to make it next year 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🥂